This page was last updated on: December 18, 2011
Looking through the fence
34th Street Yard
in Ensley, AL.
34th Street Yard with the
historic U.S. Steel's
Ensley Iron Works
in the distance.
224 & 225, both SW 1001'S acquired from the
Newburgh & South Shore,
leave the 34th Street yard.
These pictures were made at
on the Black Warrior River.
BS's former Duluth, Missabee & Iron Range SD9.
Here you can see the crane used to transfer bulk material to and from barges and rail cars.
The Warrior & Gulf Navigation Co.
and Birmingham Southern RR are both owned by
BSRR EMD SW9C 588,
a radio controlled unit,
switching U.S. Steels
WYCO Yard in Wylam.
This engine was acquired from the Union Railroad in 1988 and built in 1953.
BSRR EMD SD9 acquired
in 1997 from the
Duluth, Missabee & Iron Range.
Built in 1957, the 650 is seen
working the WYCO Yard.
This lash up of more SD9's is
seen in the wye built in 1996
just East of the
Elliot Yard off of Tin Mill Road.
BSRR 652, another SD9,
Sitting in Elliot Yard. This engine was originally the 152
under the D,M&IR ownership.
Four BSRR GP38-2's pull a empty train to the
Warrior, Gulf & Navigation Co. in Birmingport.
The 700, 704, 702 & 701 were
originally owned by the
Elgin, Joliet & Eastern RR.
The 702 was the first to receive
the current paint scheme.
Here the train is seen on the loop inside the W&GN Co. that will bring it back to the entrance.
The end of the train can be seen in the distance as the head end of the train nears the entrance.
A group of SD-9's backs a string of loaded hoppers into the Warrior & Gulf's yard in Birmingham Port.
The large crane in the Warrior & Gulf's yard can be seen in the background as the train switches the yard.
This sign can be found directly in front of the entrance to the Warrior & Gulf Navigation Co.
at Birmingham Port.
The 260 and 261, two EMD MP15DC's purchased new in 1976, are seen pulling into the 34th yard.